Document Shredding Events
Document shredding events help you safely recycle your old paperwork
To help deter identity theft, periodic document shredding events are held at the Sunnyvale Materials Recovery and Transfer (SMaRT) Station to assist residents with destroying confidential or personal documents. The events are a free service limited to the residents of Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Palo Alto (partners of the SMaRT Station®). Proof of residency is required.
Please only use this service for confidential or personal documents. Recycle all your non-confidential documents in your blue recycle cart.
2019 Document Shredding Event Dates:
- Saturday March 16
- Saturday July 13
- Saturday November 2
Time: 8 AM - 12 PM
Where: 301 Carl Road, Sunnyvale
- Residents may bring a maximum of 5 banker-size boxes or 5 brown paper bags of confidential/personal paper documents to shred. A banker’s box measurement is approximately 12” x 10” x 15”.
- Remove documents from binders and binder clips (these can damage the shredding equipment); however, paperclips, staples and rubber bands are acceptable.
- Unacceptable items* include (but not limited to): batteries, matches, electronics, metal, cardboard, binders, binder clips, x-rays, CD’s, DVD’s, plastic sleeves, e-waste, pens, etc. No garbage or non-paper items! Sift through your documents before arrival at the shredding event to ensure you have documents only.
- All documents will be shredded immediately on-site, during the event.
- Recycle all non-confidential documents and paper curbside in your recycling cart.
*IMPORTANT: These items can cause the shredding truck to catch on fire.
What should I shred? If you answer YES to any of these questions, then SHRED the document.
- Does it have any personally identifiable information?
- Does it contain information protected by privacy laws?
- Does it violate any privacy laws?
- Does it share any confidential corporate information?
- Does the document list any financial information?
Last Updated: October 8, 2019