Major Utilities FAQs
To see specific questions by subject, please search for the categories listed below:
- Service Interruption during a Major Capital Improvement Project: Water Service, Gas Service
- Parking during a Major Capital Improvement Project
- Construction of Capital Improvement Project
- Pavement Restoration on Major Capital Improvement Projects
- Electric Underground Conversion Projects
- New Service or Meter
- Utilities Financial Assistance
- Whom to Call During a Major Capital Improvement Project
Why is PG&E doing construction in Palo Alto? CPAU supplies natural gas to all residents and businesses in Palo Alto. However, the natural gas used in Palo Alto is transported to the City's distribution system through large transmission lines owned by PG&E. Here is a list of all current PG&E projects happening in Palo Alto.
What do the colored markings in the street mean? These different colored lines and letters have been placed to indicate the location of various underground utilities, so construction crews will not hit them while excavating. They are placed by Underground Services Alert (USA), the folks you should call (811) ANYTIME you plan to dig on your property. Here is a chart explaining what all the colors mean.
Why are Utilities crews digging up a street that was just repaved? This only happens when there is an urgent problem that must be addressed immediately. Otherwise, a 5 year moratorium on planned projects is observed after a street has been repaved.
Other questions or concerns? Contact us by email or call (650) 329-2417.