Groups and Special Event Permits
Groups of 25 or More
Groups of 25 or more require a reservation or a permit. These include activities such as picnic groups, weddings, hiking and mountain biking meet-ups, classes and docent-led walks. Organizers are responsible for limiting the size of their group.
- Baylands: Contact the Supervising Ranger at 650-617-3156.
- Pearson Arastradero Preserve: Contact the Supervising Ranger in Foothills Park at 650-329-2423.
- Foothills Park
- For group hikes, classes or similar, contact the Supervising Ranger at 650-329-2423.
- Oak Grove Picnic Area is the only reservable area for groups of 25 or more. It has a capacity of 1 to 150 people.
A Gathering Permit is a basic “free” permit required for groups of 25 or more who gather in parks or plaza’s, and when a Special Event Permit is not required. This permit does not provide for exclusive use, but allows usage on a first-come, first-serve basis only. No Insurance is required.
To submit a request for a Gathering Permit, complete the online questionnaire and all forms. All forms must be filled out completely, with a detailed description of the event. An aerial diagram of the event may also be required. Please allow 10 days for processing, once all requirements are submitted.
Click on the following link to complete the Gathering Permit request: Gathering Permit
"Special events," such as running or bicycling races, usually require the use of many city resources (e.g., road closures, police or fire personnel). Permits for these events are required to be completed at least a month in advance. "Special uses" include scientific research or collecting, commercial photography, rest stops for athletic training events, and weddings. All require permits in advance.
- Special Event Permits: download the Special Event Permit Application.
- Special Use Permits:
- Baylands: contact the Supervising Ranger at 650-617-3156.
- Pearson Arastradero Preserve and Foothills Park: contact the Supervising Ranger at 650-329-2423.
Small groups, which are 24 or fewer adults and children, do not require reservations or permits. Organizers are responsible for limiting the size of their group and may be subject to citation and expulsion from the preserve if the group size exceeds 24 people.
Organizers of small groups may obtain a small group guest list form in person from a ranger at the entrance station on the day of your gathering.