Renter Protection Resources Available
On Monday, November 18, the City Council continued discussion and consideration of an urgency ordinance focused on renter protections to their next meeting on December 2. The ordinance would give renters protection from no-fault evictions until the state Tenant Protection Act (AB 1482) goes into effect on January 1.
While this discussion continues, resources are available to tenants and landlords. Tenant-landlord mediation is available through the Project Sentinel Fair Housing Center. Should renters have any issues arise prior to the start of the new law in the new year, contact Project Sentinel here or call (408) 720-9888. The community can learn more about the new law here.
The following agencies also provide legal assistance to tenants, regardless of income:
- Law Foundation of Silicon Valley (408)280-2424
- Bay Area Legal Aid (800) 551-5554
For additional resources, follow these links:
- For complete AB1482 bill text, go here
- AB 1482 Frequently Asked Questions can be found here
- Law Foundation of Silicon Valley AB 1482 Information can be found here
- Santa Clara County Superior Court also provides self-help materials and referrals to organizations offering free or low-cost legal help here
Last Updated: November 19, 2019