Local Water SupplyPalo Alto’s water comes from the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC). This
Water Quality & Annual Consumer Confidence Report
The City of Palo Alto Utilities and our water
Water Quality Parameters
On January 6, 2020, the Hetch Hetchy (HH) supply will be shut down until February 7 for maintenance activities. During the HH shutdown, the Harry Tracy Water Treatment Plant (HTWTP) will increase its rate to about 90 MGD, and the SVWTP will increase its rate to about 90 MGD using San Antonio Reservoir as the source of supply.
The following table compares water quality parameters at Irvington Portal. This data is based on the most recent sampling results and represents an estimate of how the blend parameters will change.
|Parameter||As of 2-3-20||As of 2-6-20|
|HH Flow (MGD)||0||150|
|HTWTP Flow (MGD)||80||40|
| SVWTP Flow (MGD)
SFPUC-SCVWD Intertie Flow (MGD)
|Total Chlorine Residual (mg/L)||3.1||3.0|
|Free Ammonia-N (mg/L)||0.04||0.04|
Highly Sensitive Customers
Since occasional minor fluctuations in water quality can occur, we encourage people who may be vulnerable to drinking water contaminants to seek advice from their health care provider, who may recommend taking precautionary measures such as adding filtration devices. Please contact our Water Transmission division at (650) 496-6967 with any questions about water quality or blend changes.
Water Distribution System Flushing
FluorideGet the facts about fluoride in drinking water. Read more from the Centers for Disease Control, American Dental Association, and DrinkTap.org. You also read more at the SFPUC fluoridation page.
Chromium is an abundant element in the Earth’s crust, found naturally in rocks, plants, soil
Read more on Palo Alto's WaterPalo Alto’s long-term water supply forecast, water demand and conservation programs in the 2015 Urban Water Management Plan. (minor edits to the Urban Water Management Plan)
- Stay Informed! Get updates on breaking news about any water disruptions or quality issues by following us on Twitter @PAUtilities
- Report a substantial leak, break or
other emergencyby calling (650) 329-2579
- Report over-watering or other water waste by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (650) 496-6968.
- Read more about water rates & supplies.
- Backflow prevention surveys--get the full scoop about what is going on and why here.
- Palo Alto's Recycled Water Plan
SFPUC Hetch Hetchy System Operations
- Watch a presentation about the SFPUC Water System Improvement Project.
- View a reference map of the SFPUC Hetch Hetchy System.
Previous Palo Alto Annual Water Quality Reports
- 2017 Annual Water Quality Report. Also available in Spanish and Mandarin.
- 2016 Annual Water Quality Report. Also available in Spanish and Mandarin.
- 2015 Annual Water Quality Report Also available in Spanish and Mandarin
- 2014 Annual Water Quality Report. Also available in Spanish and Mandarin
- 2013 Annual Water Quality Report. Also available in Spanish and Mandarin.
- 2012 Annual Water Quality Report.
- 2011 Annual Water Quality Report.
- 2010 Annual Water Quality Report.
- 2009 Annual Water Quality Report.
- 2008 Annual Water Quality Report