New Americans Program
The Palo Alto City Library welcomes all newcomers, visitors and residents to our community:
- Vision: a flourishing city where people achieve their dreams
- Mission: connect and strengthen our diverse community through knowledge, resources, and opportunities. We inspire and nurture innovation, discovery, and delight.
We hope that the Library is the first place a newcomer visits and uses our resources, locations, collections and programs to fulfill their dreams.
- Welcome to America: This family program series is designed for new Americans and visitors to learn the customs and values of their new home. The series will run March-December 2016 on the 4th Thursday of every month. Each session will focus on a selected topic and will include a short presentation, followed by an activity for the whole family.
- ESL Conversation Group: The adult program to practice speaking and listening in English.
- Beyond the Basics: Eight-week course adult program to learn pronunciation and expression for advanced ESL speakers.
- ESL Book Club: ESL speakers will be introduced to easy-to-read books in English and have a chance to talk about the book they are reading.
See a list of our upcoming New Americans programs.
Materials in Your Language
The Library provides materials in multiple languages, including:
Visit our Library catalog to find books in the above languages.
Citizenship & Immigration Resources
- Mango Languages offers a number of online courses in various native languages and is a great resource for learning English.
- Learning Express provides an online Adult Learning Center, where you can improve your English reading and writing skills and take practice citizenship courses.
Palo Alto Community Resources
FIRST THURSDAYS, 6:30-8:30 p.m. - Ready to Become an American Citizen?
MONTHLY Series - Learning American Culture & Customs.
MONDAYS, 4:30 p.m. - Bilingual Russian storytime for children and their parents and caregivers.
Last Updated: Oct 3, 2017