Part of our goal as your local fire department is to help you prevent fires and other emergencies. On this page, we will offer different tips and information to help you stay safe at home, the office and at school. We will provide as many resources as possible so that you can be prepared.
Be 9-1-1 Ready
· Know Where You Are: Where are you right now? Could you tell 9-1-1 exactly where to find you? The call taker may not automatically know your location or may ask you to confirm it.
· Stay Calm & Ready to Listen: 9-1-1 is here to help you through until help arrives. Be ready to listen and follow directions.
· Know where the emergency is: When calling 9-1-1, one of the first things you’ll be asked to provide is the location of the emergency you’re reporting. Provide landmarks such as cross streets and identifiable buildings.
· Always be aware of your surroundings.
Know your cell well
· The current 9-1-1 system is designed for voice communications only.
· Texting 9-1-1 is not an option in most locales; you must dial 9-1-1 and speak with a call taker.
· Lock your keypad when you’re not using your phone, so 9-1-1 isn’t dialed by mistake. For the same reason, don’t put 9-1-1 on speed dial.
· Do not give old phones to children as toys. A wireless phone with no active service can still call 9-1-1.
· If you accidentally call 9-1-1, stay on the line and tell the receiver that you do not have an emergency.
9-1-1 is for emergency use only
· Call 9-1-1 for emergencies only.
· It is appropriate to call 9-1-1 when you need to save a life, stop a crime or report a fire.
· 9-1-1 is the right number to call in an emergency when a prompt response is needed.
· If you dial 9-1-1 for a non-emergency matter, you are tying up resources that could be needed in a real emergency.
Remain calm, be prepared
· Try to stay calm, listen carefully, give information and follow all instructions.
· In an emergency, seconds matter, so being knowledgeable and prepared can make all the difference.
· Knowing when to call and what to expect when you phone 9-1-1 can help reduce fear and feelings of helplessness in an emergency.
· The more you know what to expect when you call 9-1-1, the faster 9-1-1 can get you the help you need.
· You can save a life! Follow all instructions the 9-1-1 call taker gives you, and don’t hang up until the call taker does.